Article Written by: Vanessa Rodriguez
How to Wear Leggings
Leggings are one of the most comfortable items you can wear and, of course, one of the most touchy. Some people love leggings, and others think that leggings shouldn’t be worn at all. I lie with the people who love leggings. Personally, leggings are all I wear in the fall and winter when I’m at home, and I do occasionally wear leggings out.
If you want to wear leggings but don’t know what to wear with leggings, or you’re not sure how to wear leggings, make sure that you read this entire post!
Leggings have been around for centuries; they have been made of various materials and used for different purposes. They have been adapted, updated, and transformed into a closet staple and are still holding strong. They may change material and colors from season to season, but you can wear classic leggings every year.
20 Style Tips on How to Wear Leggings
- Wear leggings with the right shoes.
- Don’t wear leggings as pants.
- Don’t wear leggings as trousers.
- Avoid leggings with a crazy pattern.
- Avoid leggings in bright neon colors.
- Keep it classy, not sexy, unless you’re going for sexy of course.
- Stick to a darker color of leggings.
- Wear long tops that cover your butt.
- Don’t wear faded black leggings.
- Wear the right underwear.
- Don’t wear leggings that are too loose.
- Don’t wear leggings that are too thin or see-through.
- Layering is key.
- Don’t wear leggings to the office unless you dress them up.
- Avoid shiny leggings.
- Make sure the leggings are the right length.
- Don’t wear leggings that have a tear in them.
- Don’t wear leggings with a tight top.
- Don’t ever wear white leggings unless you’re wearing a tunic or dress over them.
- Make sure you feel comfortable in leggings or don’t wear them at all. Confidence is key!
What to Wear with Leggings
Now that you know what you should and should not do when wearing leggings, let’s review a couple of stylish ways you could wear leggings.
Wear leggings with a button down
In this outfit, I wore black leggings with a cute black and white polka-dot button-down shirt. I accentuated the loose top at the waist with a black belt so to not lose my figure. The shirt is long enough to cover my behind, so it keeps this look classy. I added a pair of dark burgundy heels and a mini crossbody bag with a gold chain. I kept my accessories to a minimum with a classic pearl necklace, one gold bracelet, and earrings.
What do you think of my stylish leggings outfits? Tweet me “love it!” if you think I pulled off leggings in a classy and stylish way!
Pairing your leggings with a button down is one of the simplest ways to pull them off. Make sure that you wear a slightly loose shirt like I did in this outfit. Wear a darker color of leggings (black is best) and contrast them with a white blouse. In this case, I wore a white button down with a cute black polka-dot print. If you are going to wear a patterned blouse, make sure that it’s a subtle and classic pattern that matches the outfit.
Wear Leggings with an oversized cardigan and boots
Pairing leggings with an oversized cardigan and high boots is classic for the fall. This outfit is stylish, cozy, comfortable and my favorite way to wear leggings in the colder months.
Wear leggings with a chambray shirt and boyfriend tee
Leggings are my preferred bottoms for long road trips. They are the most comfortable and stylish option for times when you’re going to be sitting for hours. When wearing leggings for a road trip remember to layer and wear comfortable shoes, like flats.
Wear leggings with a blazer
Lastly, pair leggings with a stylish blazer. In this outfit, I kept a black-and-white theme. I paired black leggings with a white blazer and large white scarf. There was no nonsense with this outfit; I kept it classy.
I like classic styles, but am minimal on trends or overly “crazy” pieces. I want the outfits that I wear now still to be stylish four years from now. This is one of the main reasons I usually only wear black leggings.
I hope that this post answered a few of your questions about leggings!